How often do you find yourself scrolling through random websites and then, 3 hours later you’re yet to complete the task you needed to complete and feel like you failed. Well, the truth is, you’re not alone. Statistics show that procrastination affects over 20% of the population and that procrastination has more than quadrupled in the last 30 years.
Today, with technology being indispensable to everyday life, we need to make sure we put strict limits in place to control our screen time if we don’t want to waste time on distractions that we incur online every single day. These distractions can be anything from notifications on your phone when you’re trying to complete an assignment to an app alerting you that someone ‘liked’ your Instagram photo. Such distractions make it very hard for us to stay focused when our attention is being pulled elsewhere.
Similarly, while at work we all face distractions while completing daily tasks online. The tools themselves, that we use while working are also a source of distraction. Everything from Google alerting us about new calendar invitations to news websites pinging us with ‘breaking news’ updates and the general rearranging of browser tabs, meetings and colleagues all of which can interfere with your concentration and make you lose track and make your focus waver.
So what’s the solution? Online blocking software has been proven to dramatically improve your focus and productivity. Solutions such as BlockSite provide users with a straightforward and friendly way to free themselves from distractions online and enable them to know how to block a website on Chrome. For example, we’re all used to typing ‘f’ in the Google browser bar and having autofill complete ‘Facebook’ and sending us straight there. But! Imagine if it could be blocked in the click of a button so that every time Google sends you to your favourite social media site, you’re redirected to a more productive website? No willpower necessary. Would be awesome right? Well, we’re here to show you how you can do this! Here is your complete guide on how to block a website using BlockSite.
How to Block a Website on Chrome (Mac and Windows) Desktop via the Extension
- Download BlockSite for desktop here.
- Launch BlockSite on your desktop.
- Open BlockSite settings and select the ‘Block Sites’ option from the menu
To start creating your custom blocklist, enter a web address as shown below, for example ‘www.facebook.com’. You can also choose if you wish to block these sites permanently or by schedule.
Once you have typed the web address, click enter on click on the green + icon to add the site to your block list.
How to Block a Website on Chrome (Mac and Windows) Desktop via the Right Click
- Once you have installed the BlockSite extension you can block a website on Chrome by right-clicking.
- To do this, right-click on the website page to see your options.
- Then, click the option ‘Block Site – Website Blocker for Chrome’
- From the menu, select ‘block this link’ and that will add the site to your Block List.
- Now every time you go to this site it will be blocked
Block a Website on Chrome via the Favicon (Mac and Windows)
- Once you have installed the BlockSite extension on your browser, to block websites via the Favicon, click the icon found in the top right corner next to the URL bar. For your convenience in locating the icon, in the image below we have circled it.
- This will open up the pop up, where you can click ‘Block this Site’ to add it to your block list.
- Once you have added the site to your block list, you will be immediately redirected to one of BlockSite’s redirect pages, or to a site you have chosen to be redirected to, making sure you stay focused!
BlockSite enables users to be free from distractions to improve their productivity, overcome online addictions and focus on their studies – to name but a few benefits that downloading the extension provides.
With BlockSite, you can also sync your blocked websites with your mobile device on Android making it easy for you to stay focused even while on the go. The BlockSite app is available on both Android and iOS and the features offered, some of which are free and others premium – including Work Mode, Scheduling, Site Redirect and the Adult Content blocker, make sure that every user can take total control of their time and make productivity their priority.
For only a few dollars a month, investing in BlockSite Premium is undoubtedly the best investment you’ll make in helping you achieve your goals and pushing you to become the best version of yourself.
So many of us are losing valuable hours of productivity and focus to digital distractions, it’s now time to reclaim those hours and fill them with things that really matter. Download BlockSite today and start taking back control of your time.